Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Book Thief

If you were to ask me, "what is the best book you have read in the past, say, month or so" (and trust me, as a librarian, I love to read, so I read a lot of books) I would, without question or hesitation, say that the best book I have read in the past month or so - maybe one of the best books I have ever read is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

It is a story set in Nazi Germany during World War II.

It includes scenes from the concentration camps and air raids.

It is sympathetically narrated by Death.

It is absolutely hillarious in places.

No, seriously. 

A sample, just to prove it:

" *** HERE IS A SMALL FACT ***

You are going to die.

I am, in all truthfullness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations.  Please, trust me.  I most definitely can be cheerful.  I can be amiable.  Agreeable.  Affable.  And that's only the A's.  Just don't ask me to be nice.  Nice has nothing to do with me."

A co-worker of mine put this on hold for me.  I did not ask her to do so.  I had no idea what to expect from this book, but it truly won me over on the first page.  The only part I did not like about it was that I read through it too quickly and it was over too soon. 

1 comment:

  1. This book was on my list to read someday - but it got bumped up after reading your review. I was very curious. I did it enjoy it and I am thinking it was extra good in audio!!

    ReplyDelete

What can I post on your wall?
Commenting & Posting Guidelines

Welcome to your library on social media!

Pima County Public Library (PCPL) offers blogs and other social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter for educational, cultural, civic, customer service, and recreational purposes. They provide a limited (or designated) public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions, and information about library-related subjects and issues.

By choosing to comment or post on our social media accounts, you agree with the following:

Comments and posts are moderated by library staff, and the library reserves the right to remove any that are unlawful or off topic. Posts containing the following may be deleted:
Copyright violations
Off-topic comments
Commercial material/spam/solicitation
Sexual content, or links to sexual content
Threatening or harassing postings
Libelous or other kinds of personal attacks
Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
Content that reveals private, personal information without permission
Vulgar language or content
Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
Content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification

P.S. Protect your privacy. Don't post personally identifying information in these public spaces, including details like your library card number, phone number, or medical information, etc.

Young people under age 18, especially, should not post information such as your school, age, phone number, and address.